Thursday, May 16, 2013

AML: Final Curtain

Well,  we got my bone marrow biopsy results back yesterday afternoon.  It wasn't what we had hoped for but fell in with what we expected.  I am now showing 20% blasts (leukemia) in my marrow.  So we got  10% improvement over the last treatment.. 

We've elected to complete the current course of chemo I am on.  So Tuesday I started chemo again.  I will be done on Friday.  Then we wait a few days and do the Donor Lymphocyte infusion(DLI).  I expect to be transferred back to Sioux Falls (or better yet, home!) by the middle of next week.  I will get any blood products I need as an outpatient at Sanford while we wait for the DLI to do its thing.  So the good news is I will be home shortly and I should be able to be home, home.

As far as prognosis goes, I'll be on wide spectrum antifungal, antiviral, and antibiotic drugs creating a artificial immune system for me.  Time will tell if my marrow can recover enough to produce red cells and platelets I need.  Though I can receive transfusions of those products, I would like to avoid daily transfusions and let my marrow do at least that part correctly. 

When I get out of here we'll just be trying to avoid infections that we can't treat.  Infections will be the biggest risk to me.  But, I don't intend to be holed up at home hiding.  There is still enough living to do.  This could go on for weeks, months or maybe years. No way to know really...  I'll take every day as a gift and want to make something of it. 

We're still getting so much support from all of you and it is very much appreciated.  Thanks for the ongoing prayers and the stories you are all sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment