Thursday, March 28, 2013

AML: New Treament Going Well

Once again I do a poor job of posting when I am at home.  You would think with all the free time I'd be able to get to it.  It's just been tough to get motivated lately.  That's partly why I am still holding off returning to work.

So there is a fair amount to tell. 

I'll address some of the prior posts that Andy and my Mom wrote.  I was pretty much oblivious to my condition.  I remember just waking up on a Thursday to find I didn't recall much since the prior Saturday.  The pain meds and infections caused.  I totally missed the Superbowl, even though I watched it with friends.  I played Xbox (Halo 4) with them as we traditionally do on Superbowl Sunday and I played pretty much as my awesome self.   I remember none of it.  This was the point Andy was told I may not leave the hospital. Then from my perspective, I just snapped out of it.  I believe all your prayers made a difference.

Since I have been home, my blood counts and immune system recovered fairly quickly.  In fact, when I started my last treatment, my counts were approaching what was normal for me.  I am now doing a Vidaza treatment every 6 weeks or so.  Intent is to keep the leukemia away.

Today I had a Dr. appointment.  It has been almost 2 weeks since I finished chemo (outpatient)  My counts (except platelets) have been minimally affected. My immune system is still in decent shape.  This is all good.  My doctor is very pleased. 

Speaking of my doctor, I have had to select a new one.  My doctor is leaving Sanford. It's all good. I have been in the hospital enough I have met all of them.  I'll likely need platelets next week and I'll keep you updated on how things progress.  I'll go to Mayo in about 4 weeks if my counts are good. 

For now. I am doing well.  I need to get my endurance up, but that will take time. 

4 comments: